I was reading Kelly from Kelly's Korner blog and she wrote about what it's honestly like to be a mom. It holds so much truth, I just had to write about it.
For the time being, I am staying at home with Emmy and Maddox due to his heart condition. I have been home for 4 1/2 months now, so I feel like I have gotten a little glimpse of being a SAHM. WOW is THAT a job!! It is the hardest and most stressful thing I have ever done. I love being the one taking care of my children, but that does not mean it is easy. There is never a moment to myself. I even make Emmy go to the bathroom with me so I know she isn't trying anything with Maddox. I look forward to Brandon getting home just so I can take a shower. I am a witness to so much screaming, I sometimes have to let out a big scream just to feel better. When the kids go to bed, I "clock out", pour a glass of wine and sit myself on the couch just to keep myself from insanity. Is the house always picked up and clean? NOPE! It is normally picked up, but not really cleaned near as much as it should be.The laundry is always done, but that is accredited to my husband and doesn't mean that it is neatly put away. I have a separate closet in the laundry room, because, for some reason, my clothes never make it to my room. Make up, shower, real clothes? huh? This combination happens about once a week. When I do decide I want to get my hair ready, put make-up on, and get dressed it takes me ALL day, so each time I tell myself I will never do that again! This would be the main reason there is never any pictures of me on this blog. I never let anyone take one of me because I rarely have myself ready. My hair is in a pony tail so often, I constantly have a headache from it. I posted about starting a new workout and haven't worked out since. It may look like we have it all together, but let me just tell you it is a facade. I should have put a disclaimer on all Show Us Your Life posts reading, "picture taken after cleaned for the first time this month."
"The grass is always greener on the other side, until you find out it's AstroTurf."
On Kelly's Korner, it was commented "We compare our insides with other people's outsides." We look at facebook, blogs, or other online outlets, and we see pictures with "perfect families" living in "perfect houses" and we feel inadequate. I have thought about deleting my facebook because I get frustrated with only excessively positive status updates. For example "So happy my husband sent flowers to my work today", but what wasn't said was that he spent the previous night sleeping on the couch! As women, we tend to judge ourselves and others too easily. I wonder why we strive to be perceived as perfect, when we know we are all struggling?!
For the time being, I am staying at home with Emmy and Maddox due to his heart condition. I have been home for 4 1/2 months now, so I feel like I have gotten a little glimpse of being a SAHM. WOW is THAT a job!! It is the hardest and most stressful thing I have ever done. I love being the one taking care of my children, but that does not mean it is easy. There is never a moment to myself. I even make Emmy go to the bathroom with me so I know she isn't trying anything with Maddox. I look forward to Brandon getting home just so I can take a shower. I am a witness to so much screaming, I sometimes have to let out a big scream just to feel better. When the kids go to bed, I "clock out", pour a glass of wine and sit myself on the couch just to keep myself from insanity. Is the house always picked up and clean? NOPE! It is normally picked up, but not really cleaned near as much as it should be.The laundry is always done, but that is accredited to my husband and doesn't mean that it is neatly put away. I have a separate closet in the laundry room, because, for some reason, my clothes never make it to my room. Make up, shower, real clothes? huh? This combination happens about once a week. When I do decide I want to get my hair ready, put make-up on, and get dressed it takes me ALL day, so each time I tell myself I will never do that again! This would be the main reason there is never any pictures of me on this blog. I never let anyone take one of me because I rarely have myself ready. My hair is in a pony tail so often, I constantly have a headache from it. I posted about starting a new workout and haven't worked out since. It may look like we have it all together, but let me just tell you it is a facade. I should have put a disclaimer on all Show Us Your Life posts reading, "picture taken after cleaned for the first time this month."
"The grass is always greener on the other side, until you find out it's AstroTurf."
On Kelly's Korner, it was commented "We compare our insides with other people's outsides." We look at facebook, blogs, or other online outlets, and we see pictures with "perfect families" living in "perfect houses" and we feel inadequate. I have thought about deleting my facebook because I get frustrated with only excessively positive status updates. For example "So happy my husband sent flowers to my work today", but what wasn't said was that he spent the previous night sleeping on the couch! As women, we tend to judge ourselves and others too easily. I wonder why we strive to be perceived as perfect, when we know we are all struggling?!






5 comments:
Amen, sister-friend. So much of our negetive feelings about our selves are self inflicted, and being a SAHM is a hard job. An important hard job.
Also, I just have to say that I laughed so hard when reading about your laundry situation. It is exactly the same as mine down to who does it, and where mine never ends up. I always tell myself it's just a season. One day the babies will be grown and I will miss the chaos. Some of it anyway. :P
Christen, these days are the hardest being a mom, but think of it this way.... You've got your little ones giving you hugs and kisses every day. Emmy says and does the cutest things. Love pours from their eyes when they look at you. The house and cleaning will always be there. One day Emmy and Maddox will grow up. Enjoy every second being a SAHM. Cherish the moment and love on your babies.
I can't figure out how to comment to you both seperately under your comment. Either of you know how to do it?
Well said! I'm just popping in from the friday hop & I'm now following your lovely blog. Stop by when you get a chance!
living well, spending less
Christen, I have to say that your blog is very well written and what I've read so far has been wonderful. I have to admit though that this one is my favorite post. It reminds me that I'm not the only Mom out there who not only finds it hard to do what I do, but I too can not tolerate the constant positive stuff that people post. If everything were always great and nothing bad ever happened none of us would grow as people. Great post and rest assured that it will get a lot more hectic as they grow. :)
Post a Comment