Saturday, October 9, 2010

Which got me to thinking....





I hope I remember

I would consider myself pretty young at 26 years old.
I can still remember what it was like to be a girl growing up.

We tend to fall into different roles as we grow older. It is easy to lose the ability to think back and remember things from alternate perspectives. We forget what it was like to be 13 and HAVING to spend the night with a certain girlfriend to dish out the latest gossip, or being 16 and HAVING to be allowed to date that one special boy. I hope I remember what it was like to be a girl as I turn into an adult. Most of us see things virtually one-sided. As a parent, we think like an adult, not like a child. This is beneficial, for the most part, but doesn’t allow us to approach each situation with true understanding. I hope I do not lose sight of what I use to see as so significant and have the ability to use this to understand and relate to my children. It is not that I want to be their best friend, but I want to be someone they can talk to who will have an open mind. I want to have the luxury of truly understanding where they are coming from. I hope to have that been there, done that feeling, but in a way that will make me empathise with what they are going through. I want to have a strong relationship with my children where they know they can come and talk to ME because I have been there before and I will be honest about my experiences.

I hope to wear the parent hat but have on some hip and rockin black stilettos as I host the sleep overs ; )
Photobucket

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails