Last Saturday, We went and visited Brandon, a family friend battling Leukemia previously posted about here. He was and still is at MD Anderson for treatment. I was really thankful me and my husband were able to go, but it was a hard visit. It doesn't matter how many times you've seen it on TV or glanced at pictures of people battling cancer, there is no preparing yourself for what it will be like when it's one of YOUR people. I was nervous just walking in the door. I knew he would look much different, be much weaker, and I feared the suffering would be too present to distract myself enough to be strong for him. We were able to smile about the past and talk about the disease he is facing. We didn't get to spend much time with him making the trip there and back in one day, but I wouldn't have traded my Saturday to be anywhere else. I was able to offer support without breaking down. I tend to be very strong in the moment but affected in a different sense later. On the drive home, I took over driving. After only about 10 minutes the lights from the cars going the opposite direction started creating a glare I couldn't see past. I had to immediately pull over and have Brandon drive. I was startled for a few minutes thinking I couldn't see, but after realizing it was me panicking about my visit, I was able to calm myself down. Even through the panicking, I only wish I could visit more often and stay longer.
Brandon is in my thoughts constantly, and I am pleading with God for healing.






0 comments:
Post a Comment