I never really thought about working outside the home before I had kids. I thought about diapers, bottles, and snuggles, but not the whole idea of working. I'm not really sure how or why I did not put a lot of time in to thinking about work, but I didn't. I just thought I would work, my kids would be adequately watched during the day, and we would be a family that would end up something like those on Home Improvement. I had no idea how much my perspective would change once I actually had the child. I thought I pretty much knew it all and had an answer for it all (Okay, I still may think this way...).
I spent my college years discovering who I was, what I wanted to pursue, and the direction I wanted my life to go. I thought that meant I was good on self-discovery for a while.
Little did I know, parenthood would send my thought processes spinning.
I had one child, and my ideas on life made a 360. Things I once saw as important (success in job, physical appearance) began to mean very little, and the well-being of my child took precedent over all else. I started reading blogs (mostly written by stay-at-home moms) and started feeling completely overwhelmed with my new role as a mother.
A few of the biggies:
*I needed to work 40+ hours a week (and do my job well),
*make sure everyone had enough food each day
(organic, minimally processed, and as natural as things were 50 years ago),
*keep all aspects of my house clean
(using all-natural,home-made products),
*stay up to date with our finances
(when there is surely not enough for all pressures mentioned above).
*keep my husband a priority
(which seems to fall to the way side when toddlers are constantly screaming for attention)
*start educating my children for school readiness
(read a few home schooling toddler blogs and you will feel GREAT about your schooling technique involving Barney and Sesame Street while you unload the dishwasher)
(little side note:I do have the help of my husband, but I think it goes without saying that men do not share the same pressures as us moms. They still have them, but this post isn't
about those : ))
I also began to feel I was doing the wrong thing by working. My kids have to be watched by someone other than family full-time, and I hate it. I have looked frontwards and backwards at my possibilities, and I just can't come up with a workable alternative at this time. I am going to have to be a mom who works outside the home.
And if I am planning on enjoying this time period of my life, I am going to have to learn to accept this.
And if I am planning on enjoying this time period of my life, I am going to have to learn to accept this.
Participating in Kelly's Korner






5 comments:
Hang in there! Looks like you are doing better than you think. : )
Found you on Kelly's Korner! I, too, am a teacher-mom...wish I could stay at home, but that's not currently an option for my family. You have a precious family, and it sounds like you are doing a great job balancing the life you've been given!! :)
I understand girl. Aubree is not even here yet and I am seeking a way to stay home. Doesn't look possible! Our job is so demanding and sucks a lot of energy. I hope I can keep it together as well as you!
Found your blog on Kelly's Korner! You have a beautiful family! And I know exactly how you feel about working and raising kids. I am a kindergarten teacher and mommy to two little girls and it can be hard, I agree! Just know that you're not alone. :O)
I also am a teacher with two little ones and I feel the same way. Right now I have to work. Maybe one day....
Such a cute family!
Post a Comment