Saturday, August 7, 2010

You are what you eat

For a few years now, Brandon and I have been interested in food. How to eat healthy, maintain a certain weight, how much to eat, ect. I have known, to some extent, what I should probably stay away from and what I should eat the most of. A small level of common sense would tell you to eat mostly fruits and vegetables and steer clear of most processed foods. I thought I had a good sense of nutrition until I stumbled upon this movie: Food, Inc. It is an eye opening documentary about where our food comes from. The film discuses meat and food processed with corn and soy bean ingredients (pretty much everything in the grocery store). It is a must watch if you care at all about you and your children's health.

 Food, Inc. [DVD]

After watching the video, Brandon and I have decided to make changes in what we eat. It is not possible for me to go grab a hamburger from, well anywhere, after watching the reality of where it's coming from. Putting myself aside, I can't imagine feeding Emmy a number of things now that I know what health risks it can cause. 

So, we have decided a change is in order. We will not eat only fruits and vegetables, but that will be the main source of our foods. We will continue to research the topic and have found some great books to increase our understanding. This weekend, we visited the local farmer's market and picked up some great food! We are excited about this new way of living, and feel powerful in our ability to choose our food. 




Vote with your fork! 

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails