Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Sick Girl

Emmy got sick a couple of weeks ago, and it was the sickest I have ever seen her. 
It started on a Thursday with her running a low fever and being really tired. Brandon took her to the doctor and it was decided that it was viral and would be gone in a few days. I figured we had a day or two more and then we would be good to go to start our summer.
Sunday things took a turn. She threw up a few times very early in the morning (she had only had Gatorade since Friday, so that's what she threw up). She spent Sunday running a fever of 103.5 and slept the ENTIRE day. I got worried and called our pediatricians on-call nurse. She said to be watching for dehydration (not having out-put at least every 6 hours)and any more throwing up. I would need to go to the Pediatric After Hours if there was an issue with either. Luckily she was drinking a good amount and kept it all down, so we just stayed on the couch all day. I took her back to the doctor on Monday to make sure it was still only a virus. They did a Strep Test and a urinalysis and both came back clear. She looked TERRIBLE though and wasn't getting any better. She spent the rest of Monday and Tuesday for a fever of 103.5 and sleeping. I wasn't too concerned with the fever it was the sleeping causing me so much worry. I have always wished she would sleep when she was sick, but now that she actually was, it was terrifying me! It did not seem normal that a 3 year old had spent three days sleeping ALL day and night. Thankfully, Wednesday things took a little turn. Her fever was down to 100 and she sat up a few times to engage in what was going on around her. She was so weak, I took her back to the doctor Thursday to check for dehydration.She had only lost a total of 2 pounds and did not show any sever signs of dehydration, so we were able to skip the IV fluids. The doctor did share a trick to check for dehydration. Touch the inside tip of their finger and it will turn white, if it does not quickly turn back red, there is an issue with hydration. Needless to say, we had finger tests about every 5 minutes after that!! I wanted her to eat something to help her strength, but it did not matter what we tried, she was not having it! 
 Each day after that was a little better and by Friday she was starting to eat again. It was a very SLOW recovery, but she has gradually gotten back to herself. 
It is so hard when your kids get sick. They can't vocalize what is going on, and the guessing game is hard on parents. I lost at least 5 pounds from the worry, and am so thankful we can get going with our Summer! : )


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails